Agile Coaching Ethics Initiative
Something that has become a burning issue for us and one that we think belongs under the auspices of the Agile Alliance is the lack of consistency in the discipline of Agile coaching and the lack of any ethical framework or code of conduct for that profession.
In informal polls of the community, there is evidence that there is general support for the idea of an ethical framework and a code of conduct for Agile coaching. However none of the commercial bodies are seen as the right organizations to credibly lead such an initiative.
We propose to identify what can realistically be expected as ethical behaviors in Agile coaching and formalizing these to publishing them under the auspices of the Agile Alliance. A second step could be to produce a formal code of ethics or code of conduct which will be published for the community.
The primary activities needed to bring the initiative to fruition are (Phase 1):
- Research existing Codes of Conduct which could provide input and guidance on the content (already underway)
- Bring interested parties together in a number of virtual sessions to align on what ethical behavior is in Agile coaching and provide examples of patterns and anti-patterns that can serve as exemplars for the community
- Socialize the patterns and antipatterns of Agile coaching among the Agile Coaching community for feedback and make changes as needed
- Add a page to the Agile Alliance website to host the exemplars along with the identified patterns and antipatterns
- Based on the identified patterns and antipatterns, identify what a Code of Conduct/Code of Ethics for Agile Coaching should contain
- Draft the Code of Conduct
- Socialize the Draft Code of Conduct among the Agile Coaching community for feedback and make changes as needed
- Add a page to the Agile Alliance website to host the Code of Conduct
- Publicize the existence of the Code of Conduct
Possible future activities:
- Create a register for Agile Coaches to commit to hold themselves to the Code of Conduct
- Encourage Agile Coaches to sign onto it, and recommend that people looking for coaches should check the register for their Coach (social pressure to sign on to the Code of Conduct)