Agile Alliance is starting our annual nominations process to find new Board members to serve the 2024 thru 2026 term. The selection of up to three Board members takes place each year. Nominations are due April 3, 2023.
What is the Agile Alliance?
Agile Alliance is a global non-profit member organization founded on the Manifesto for Agile Software Development. We support people and organizations who explore, apply and expand Agile values, principles and practices. You can learn more about us here.
What is the role of the Agile Alliance Board?
As a policy board, we establish the identity and direction of Agile Alliance, ensure necessary resources are in place for the operation of Agile Alliance, provide oversight on behalf of our members, and fulfill typical board responsibilities. This means we are not an operational Board that gets involved in day-to-day activities of Agile Alliance such as organizing conferences, running the organization, etc.
What will you do as a Board member?
There is no standard experience requirement as an Agile Alliance Board member. What you do depends on what you’re passionate about and how much time you have to devote to Board work.
Board members discuss a variety of organizational topics during meetings, which requires reviewing materials in advance. Particular value is placed on asking challenging questions that push us in new directions. The group is welcoming and inclusive, giving everyone a chance to speak. While occasionally things can get a little contentious, we embrace healthy conflict and respect each other greatly.
What is the Board’s expectation of you?
Board members are expected to participate in all Board meetings. While we understand circumstances arise, it is our goal to have 100% participation in meetings.
We are both a global community and a global board. We choose meeting locations and meeting times that support Agile Alliance’s business interests.
- The board currently meets on a monthly basis. Some of these meetings are conducted virtually and typically last 3-4 hours.
- We try to arrange it at a time that works for most time zones, but sometimes early mornings or late evenings are requested.
- Three times a year, we meet face-to-face for a long weekend (Friday thru Sunday).
- Board members will arrive at the destination by 5 pm on Thursday for an event in the local Agile community.
- Due to our global mission, we recognize that some meeting locations may require more extensive travel for some members.
- We also meet the Sunday before and the Friday after the Agile annual conference.
- Board members are requested to arrive before dinner on Saturday and depart following the close of the conference and completion of Board business.
Some amount of committee work is expected, but this varies from person to person. Some Board members can commit to an hour a week and some can do more. Everyone’s personal limit is respected.
Each Board member is expected to attend the entire Agile annual conference, which is typically held at the end of July, and represent Agile Alliance during that time. As an Agile Alliance Board member, you are also encouraged to attend other events hosted/sponsored by Agile Alliance, and to generally act as an ambassador for the organization.
Is there a Board orientation process?
Yes, there is a formal orientation process.
- As a new Board member, you will be invited to attend our last in-person Board meeting for 2023 to get a better understanding of how the Board meetings work.
- In-person onboarding will be held in January 2024. Prior to the meeting, we will send you an onboarding packet with information you need to succeed as a new Board member, such as Board policies, bylaws, etc.
- At the first in-person Board meeting of 2024, you will have an opportunity to ask the existing Board members anything to help you better understand expectations.
- Also, per Board policy, you will be required to attend virtual Code of Conduct training.
Who are the other Board members and what is their background?
The Board of Directors is composed of between seven (7) and ten (10) directors. All Board members are volunteers and offer their time for the benefit of the member community and Agile at large.
Agile Alliance values diversity and inclusivity. We actively strive to create a Board representative of our membership.
You can learn more about the current Board here.
For more information, please refer to the bylaws
The organization elects new board members each year as current members reach the end of their terms. Agile Alliance publicizes the call for nominations as widely as possible and people from around the world are invited to nominate themselves.
If you would like to nominate yourself as a Board Member, please fill out the form below. All information provided will be used in the review process. Nominations are due Monday April 3, 2023.
Here is the FORM to submit your interest.